He said he filed a lawsuit in China on Friday against Malaysia Airlines, not for the money but in the hope that it will bring some answers to the mystery.
Many families accuse the airline and Malaysian government of letting the plane slip away through a bungled response, withholding information on what happened, and treating grieving relatives insensitively, charges that are denied.
The Malaysia Airlines jet vanished on 8 March 2014 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 passengers and crew on board.
The search across the southern Indian Ocean, which will see some 120,000 sq km scoured at the cost of around Â£87.7 million by its completion, has found no trace of the plane.
“If somebody actually found it in the middle of the ocean while they were sailing and picked it up, I would say, ‘Well, that should have some barnacles, ‘” he said.
It also said the failure so far to find a crash site indicated Boeing had equipped the jet’s black boxes with “ineffectual” underwater locator beacons, and that the lack of evidence pointing to any non-mechanical cause indicates an aircraft problem.
The man who runs the website UFO Sightings Daily is claiming he has spotted what could be the wreckage of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 near the Cape of Good Hope.
He arrived in Mozambique on February 20 and spent his time sightseeing before deciding to look for possible plane debris a week later, when he hired a boat to go to the sandbank.
Australia is leading a search of the southern Indian Ocean where investigators believe the plane flew after turning around between Malaysia and Vietnam and heading into one of the most remote areas of the world. But family members at Sunday’s memorial ceremony expressed concern authorities weren’t even searching in the right place.
Martin Dolan, head of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, was quoted as saying that the plane would “very likely” be found in the next four months, as search efforts entered its final phase.
It will be analysed by Australian experts, with representatives of the plane’s manufacturer Boeing and the Malaysian investigation team advising.
Under global convention, compensation claims can not be lodged after a two-year deadline, regardless of the aircraft’s fate.
So far only one piece of debris found a year ago on Reunion east of Madagascar has been confirmed as belonging to the plane. “We demand to have our people back everyday, we want our relatives”, Dai Shuqin, whose sister was on board the flight, told Reuters.
“If it is not, then Malaysia, Australia and China will hold a tripartite meeting to determine the way forward”, he said.
A second piece of debris possibly belonging to missing flight MH370 has been found just days before the two-year anniversary of the aviation disaster.
Jacquita Gonzales, wife of flight steward Patrick Gomes, said “We are fighting to search on because our loved ones are not home yet”.