Malaysian government announced in Thursday two more pieces debris found on the beaches in South Africa and Rodrigues Island off Mauritius are “almost certainly” from Flight MH370. The debris were examined by an international team of experts in Australia and believed them to be from the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.
Liow Tiong Lai, Malaysia’s Transport Minister, mentioned the two new pieces were an engine cowling piece and an interior panel piece. This is the first interior part discovered. In a statement, he said “As such, the team has confirmed that both pieces of debris from South Africa and Rodrigues Island are almost certainly from the MH370.” Marine samples found on the debris are also being studied and a report said “The results from these tests will be provided to the Malaysian investigation team once complete.”
There are currently a total of five pieces of debris from the missing aircraft.
On March 8, 2014, Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing flew off-course and supposedly disappeared in the southern Indian Ocean. The Boeing 777 aircraft was carrying 239 people. Ongoing search are continuously scanning a 120,000 sq km area of the southern Indian Ocean. However, the search has not found anything so far.